2012年11月3日星期六

I've kept you waiting longer than I expected

"I've kept you waiting longer than I expected, Dan, but I had great news for Freddy,--news that took some time to tell." The speaker sank into the tall stiff-backed chair known to many a young sinner as the "judgment seat." "Now" (the clear, keen eyes fixed themselves gravely on the boy) "I want to have a talk with you. Things can not go on in this way any longer, even in vacation time. I must say that, after the last year's good record, I am disappointed in you,homepage, Dan,--sorely disappointed."
"I'm sorry, Father,shox torch 2," was the respectful answer, but the grim, hard look on the young face did not change. "I've made a lot of trouble, I know."
"You have," was the grave answer, "and trouble I did not expect from you. Still, circumstances have been against you, I must confess. But this does not alter the fact that you have broken strict rules that even in vacation we can not relax,--broken them deliberately and recklessly. You are evidently impatient of the restraint here at Saint Andrew's; so I have concluded not to keep you here any longer, Dan."
"I'm not asking it, Father." Dan tried bravely to steady voice and lip. "I'm ready to go whenever you say."
"To-morrow, then," continued Father Regan,--"I've made arrangements for you to leave to-morrow at ten. Brother Francis will see that your trunk is packed to-night."
"Yes, Father," said Dan, somewhat bewildered at the friendly tone in which this sentence was delivered. "I'd like to see Mr. Raymond and Mr. Shipman before I go, and thank them for all they've done for me; and Father Roach and Father Walsh and all of them; and to say I'm sorry I made any trouble."
"Good gracious," laughed Father Regan, "one would think you were on your dying bed, boy!"
"I--I feel like it," blurted out Dan, no longer able to choke down the lump in his throat. "I'd rather die, a good deal."
"Rather die!" exclaimed Father Regan,--"rather die than go to Killykinick!"
"Killykinick!" echoed Dan, breathlessly. "You're not--not sending me to a Reform, Father?"
"Reform!" repeated the priest.
"For I won't go," said Dan, desperately. "You haven't any right to put me there. I'm not wild and bad enough for that. I'll keep honest and respectable. I'll go to work. I can get a job at Pete Patterson's sausage shop to-morrow."
"Reform! Sausage shop! What are you talking about, you foolish boy, when I am only sending you all off for a summer holiday at the seashore?"
"A summer holiday at the seashore!" echoed Dan in bewilderment.
"Yes, at Freddy's place--Killykinick. I have just heard from his uncle,fake uggs for sale, and he thinks it would be a fine thing to send Freddy up there to shake off his malaria. There's a queer old house that his great-uncle left him, and an old sailor who still lives there to look out for things,nike shox torch 2; and all the boating, bathing, swimming, fishing a set of lively young fellows can want; so I am going to ship you all off there to-morrow morning with Brother Bart. It's plain you can't stand six weeks of vacation here, especially when there will be a general retreat for the Fathers next month. You see, I simply have to send you away."

没有评论:

发表评论